West Yorkshire Society of Architects
Founded in 1876 and Incorporated in 1885 under the Companies Act 1867, Section 23
The Society's objective is for the advancement in the understanding of the architectural culture and architectural heritage of the County of Yorkshire by promoting study and research into architecture and the built environment and their status and importance in our society.
From our original articles and aims;
'the advancement of citizenship and community development by serving as a medium for friendly intercourse between Architects and others interested in architecture, civic design and the study of the built environment and to advance the knowledge of the sciences and arts required in the study and appreciation of Architecture'.
The Society aims to support their aims by assisting in the advancement of education by affording support for the study within the County of Yorkshire, and by the support for the study by students of architecture and practitioners based in Yorkshire around the UK and through the Bedford Scholarship around the world.
WYSA was originally formed in 1874 as Leeds Society of Architects, and incorporated in 1876, becoming West Yorkshire Society of Architects in 1954. The society originally undertook the role of professional registration and standards in the region until 1969 when the RIBA become the full national institution for the role. The society continued in the region supporting various academic initiatives and we became a charity in 2018 to ensure the security of the society so we can continue to grow our educational initiatives across the region.
June 2022 - Present - c/o Pearce Bottomley Architects, 10 High St. Tadcaster LS24 9AT
June 2018 – June 2022 – c/o Airedale Architects, 5A Chapel Lane, Bingley BD16 2NG
May 2014 – June 2018 – c/o Hon.Secretary office, Airedale Architects, Albion Mills, Bradford
Feb 2009 – May 2014 – Riverside Studios, The Calls, Leeds
Jan 2006 – Feb 2009 – Green Sand Foundry, Holbeck, Leeds
Dec 1934 – Jan 2006 – 8 Woodhouse Square, Leeds
Unknown – Dec 1934 – 62 Woodhouse Lane, Leeds